Senior Software Engineer
IQGeo is seeking a Senior Software Engineer with an emphasis on back-end technologies to support our Web and Mobile Software engineering efforts for domestic and international enterprise customers. This role joins a dynamic team that enjoys working with complex applications and products that utilise software, GIS, engineering, and problem-solving skills.
Achieving universal broadband equity and meeting net zero carbon emissions are two of the biggest social and environmental challenges that the IQGeo team is tackling. To achieve this, more than 500 innovative telecommunications and utility companies around the world are “building better networks” using our award-winning geospatial software to deploy the fibre optic and distributed energy networks of the future. We play a vital role in helping utilities plan, design, construct and maintain the complex network assets essential to the success of our businesses and well-being of our communities. As a carbon neutral software company, we invite creative and talented people to join us in our mission to transform communication and utility networks for the long-term sustainability of our shared planet. Learn more about our customer stories.
Our Engineering teams are in Cambridge (UK), Denver (USA), Salt Lake City (USA), and Ghent (Belgium) and are responsible for designing and developing our geospatial products which are available both as cloud services and for on-premises deployment. You will be helping to develop the next generation of innovative geospatial products that support mission-critical operations for our global customer base.
As an integral part of the Geospatial engineering team, the successful candidate will be developing new product releases to meet the growing list of requirements for the platform product and new industry vertical applications. Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Design, development, unit-testing, maintenance, and enhancement of software products adhering to the product architecture
- Implementation of automated testing
- Design, implement, and maintain public facing APIs
- Configuration management and management of builds
- Technical documentation of software design
- Guide and mentor engineers
Successful candidates will be enthusiastic individuals with a strong technical background in general enterprise software engineering skills related to the following:
- Deep understanding of at least one backend programming language (ex. Python, Java)
- Significant experience developing applications in Python
- Significant experience using Pyramid, Django, or similar framework
- Expertise in SQL and RDBMS technologies (PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQLite, or similar)
- Experience designing and developing APIs
- Experience with Linux system architecture/administration
- Demonstrated expertise in object-oriented programming, with a proven track record or successful development experience
- Experience integrating front-end and back-end components
- Experience writing automated tests
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, able to present technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience working with Docker containers
- Experience using Git or other distributed version control systems
- UK citizenship or permanent residency required
- Experience with Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) or web mapping
- Experience within the telecommunications industry
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Experience working in cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, or Azure)
- Experience with other technologies we use: OpenLayers, PostGIS, AntD, Pyramid, Shapely, Turf, and SQLAlchemy
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Be comfortable working in a mature code base with varying levels of supporting open-source libraries
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritise tasks
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment
- Ability to work from our Cambridge office 1-2 days per week
Education and Experience
- Degree from an accredited university in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field or equivalent industry experience.
What's In It For You
- 25 days of paid holiday, with the opportunity to purchase further days up to a total of 30.
- Charity/Volunteering day each year.
- Company-matched pension contributions of up to 6% base salary.
- Private medical insurance.
- Health cash plan.
- Company life assurance (4x gross salary).
- Incapacity benefit.
- Enhanced maternity leave policy.
- EV company car scheme (salary sacrifice).
- Cycle scheme (salary sacrifice).
- Give as you earn charity scheme.
This role is ideally based out of our UK offices in Cambridge. We do support remote, hybrid and flexible working arrangements for all employees. We understand that life for many people involves school runs, care giving, or exercising!
Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work permits for this position and suitable applicants must already possess the right to work in the UK.